What is All Out September 30?
This Wednesday, join the All Out September 30th (#AOS30) Orange Shirt Day commemoration and national student-led strike against racism in post-secondary institutions and in support of Indigenous, Black, and Racialized students, staff, and faculty. On their instagram page, #AOS30 reports that students, staff, and faculty have come together to “hold our administrations and provincial government accountable for their complicity and active perpetuation of anti-Black and anti-Indigenous racism on our campuses and amongst our society.”
The #S30Strike demands include:
- Free and accessible education for all, with increased targeted grants and bursaries for Indigenous, Black and Racialized students
- Province- and campus- wide recognition and implementation of Orange Shirt Day, an annual event which commemorates and honours the experiences of Indigenous children who were stolen and lost to the Residential School System
- Defunding of the police and cops off campuses
- Removal of the Egerton Ryerson statue
- Province-wide Implementation of race-based data
- Decent work and decent pay on both campuses, and in the community
- More Black and Indigenous faculty, teachers, and staff
- More services, programs, and supports for Black and Indigenous students
- Implementation and prioritization of specialized programs
How to support in lead up to the Strike
#AOS30 is currently doing a callout for student testimonies, sharing “Why are you striking on September 30th?”. Testimonies are to be 15seconds or less in length, and can be shared with organizers via their facebook or instagram dm’s or through their email at email@example.com. Students are also invited to share their testimonies on their stories and tag @allouts30. Themes can include:
- An act or pattern of racism you experienced or witnessed while at school
- A vision or goal you have for the education system
Organizers are also asking student unions to endorse #AOS30 and to widely share the strike details and eventbrite page with their members. Endorsement materials are available upon request.
What to expect on Strike Day
The virtual strike will be hosted via zoom on September 30, 2020 from 11AM to 7PM EDT. Organizers are asking participants to attend wearing orange.
Scheduled Programming (times are displayed in EDT):
- [11:00AM – 12:30PM] Why We Strike: opening remarks and an Orange Shirt Day teach in
- [1:00PM – 2:30PM] Cops off Campus – Defund the Police: webinar that delves into abolitionist frameworks in relation to post-secondary institutions, and the importance of defunding, demilitarizing, and abolishing the police, as well as exploring the ways in which these experiences manifest themselves in within the education system
- [2:30PM-3:30PM] Barriers to Education: webinar that discusses the various barriers to education that Indigenous, Black, and Racializeed students may experience when accessing PSE
- [4:00PM-7:00PM] Underfunded & Overrepresented: Racism in the Classroom: webinar that discusses the experiences of BIPOC students, staff, and faculty both in and outside the classroom.
For sign-up and a full summary of these events, please visit https://s30strike.eventbritestudio.com
Social Media Handles/Shareable Promotional Content
Hashtags: #AllOutSep30 #AOS30 #S30Strike #OrangeShirtDay
Facebook: All Out September 30th
All Out September 30th is a grassroots movement founded by Indigenous, Black and racialized student leaders and allies from campuses across the Greater Toronto Area.