FAQ: How to Vote

Students and youth are the biggest voting block this election. Be bold at the polls.

Am I eligible to vote?

To be eligible you must:
– be a Canadian citizen
– be at least 18 years old on election day, September 20
– prove your identity and address (But don’t stress! There’s lots of ways to do this!)

For more information, visit elections.ca.

When and where can I vote?

You can vote:
– On Election Day (September 20 or Advanced Polling days at your assigned polling station. You can find your assigned polling station on your Voter Information Card, which will be mailed to your residence once you’ve registered to vote!)
– At any Elections Canada office before Election Day at 6pm.
– By mail if you’re studying or working abroad.

To find your polling station, register to vote at elections.ca.

What ID do I need to vote?

You have three options:
– Show any one of: driver’s license, or any other card issued by a Canadian government (federal, provincial/territorial, or local) with your photo, name, and current address
– Show any two pieces of ID with your name, with at least one including your current address (e.g. voter information card, bank statement, student card, ISIC card, utility bill etc.). Living in residence? Your housing office should be able to provide a written confirmation of address.
– No ID? Get someone who can prove their identity and address to vouch for you and declare your identity and address in writing.

For a full list of eligible pieces of ID, visit ID to vote – Elections Canada.

Do I need to register to vote?

No, but we highly recommend it and makes things simpler and faster at the polling station! You’ll also get a personalized voter information card in the mail which will tell you when, where, and how to vote. Just visit Registration – Elections Canada

Can I vote if I am working or travelling abroad?

Yes! You can do so by using a special ballot, for which you can apply as soon as the election is called. Apply early! Your ballot needs enough time to travel to you and back to Ottawa before 6pm on election day. You can find more information on voting while working or travelling abroad Canadians abroad – Elections Canada

How do I vote in my home riding if I live in a different city for school?

There are two ways to vote for a candidate in your home riding if you go to school in another city. You can visit any Elections Canada office in person from 9 am to 9 pm Monday to Friday. Or by applying to vote by mail.  

Who should I vote for?

When voting in the federal elections, you are voting for a person to represent your riding in Parliament. The leader of the political party with the most seats will become the new Prime Minister of Canada. In order to make an informed decision, visit our party platforms breakdown to learn more about where each of the parties stand on post-secondary education and issues facing students today. Don’t forget to also review the platforms of the candidates in your riding!

Does my vote matter?

Yes, it does! Voter turnout among young people aged 18 to 24 in the last federal election increased by 18.3 percentage points (from 38.8% in 2011 to 57.1% in 2015), the single largest increase for this age group since Statistics Canada began compiling the data. Imagine what could happen if that percentage was even higher?

Free education is possible. Now is the time to be bold and use your vote to demand access for all. Learn more about the issues here.

How do I vote if I need an accommodation for a disability?

If someone you know asks you to assist with language interpretation, you may help them to:

  • Get information by visiting elections.ca or calling Elections Canada on their behalf
  • Complete the voter registration process
  • Complete an application to vote by mail
  • Vote in person at a local Elections Canada office, at an advance poll or on election day. To protect the secrecy of the vote, we will ask you to make a written declaration before helping someone vote.
  • Contact Elections Canada to see if language interpretation services could be arranged for when the person goes to vote at an advance or election day poll.

If someone you know uses sign language, you can help them request sign language interpretation at the polls on election day. This must be done in advance by:

  • Filling out the online form, or
  • Calling us at 1-800-463-6868 or 1-800-361-8935 (TTY)

We must receive the request by Tuesday, September 14, 6:00 p.m.

For more information on accessibility policy and offered services, visit elections.ca.

Can I vote if I have to work on election day?

By law, voters are allowed 3 consecutive hours off from work to vote. If your work hours do not allow for 3 consecutive hours, your employer must give you time off. Your employer, however can decide when you are able to leave work to vote.

How do I vote if I am homeless?

If you are homeless or don’t have a fixed address, you are still able to vote. To prove your address, ask the administrators of any food or lodging shelter you have visited to provide you a Letter of Confirmation of Residence. This letter accompanied with a piece of ID (student card or library card) will suffice.

I'm an Indigenous student who chooses not to vote or an international student who can't vote, can I still get involved?

Absolutely! You can get involved by helping spread the word about the student issues this election, and encourage your classmates to vote. 

Interested in each party’s stance on these issues?

Interested in the issues facing students?

Sign the pledge to get involved here!