The Canadian Federation of Students is seeking a bilingual Campaigns Coordinator, based in Ottawa, to coordinate the Federation’s campaigns and organizing efforts.
The Canadian Federation of Students represents more than 500,000 college and university students from over 80 students’ unions across Canada. The Canadian Federation of Students was formed in 1981 to provide students with an effective and united voice, provincially and nationally and to provide cost-saving services to its members. For more information, please visit: www.cfs-fcee.ca
Type: 1 year full-time position
Start Date: April 24, 2017
Salary: Salary of approximately $56,000 per year
Union: Canadian Union of Public Employees, Local 1281
The Coordinator shall undertake duties as directed by the Federation’s National Executive. Such duties include:
- the development, coordination and implementation of national campaigns relating to access to, and quality of post-secondary education, elections and student and youth voting, equity and social justice, environmental sustainability and other issues that may arise from time to time.
- facilitating the determination of campaign goals, strategies & tactics, developing campaign materials, and overseeing the implementation of campaign plans;
- working with Federation components and member local students’ unions to support campaigns development, planning and implementation;
- working with labour, community and social justice organizations that share common aims and objectives of the Federation;
- assisting with the coordination of the design and production of campaign materials;
- attending and assisting with the organising of national, provincial, and regional campaign meetings and trainings;
- working with communications staff to develop media messaging, communications plans and written content that promotes campaigns work;
- working collectively with other staff of the Federation, and assisting other staff with their duties.
- current and in-depth knowledge of the aims of and issues facing the student movement in Canada;
- experience in the student movement in Canada at a local, provincial and national level;
- experience and skills coordinating lobby campaigns around specific demands;
- experience and skills organising grassroots mobilization campaigns including experience in planning and facilitating organising committees and volunteer training and retention;
- strong written and oral communication skills in English, functional skill level in French;
- basic computer skills;
- willingness to travel, sometimes with short notice.
The Canadian Federation of Students is an employment equity employer. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome; in particular, applications are encouraged from racialized people, Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, queer and trans people, and women.